There is so much to learn about dental crowns that, even if you have had a dental crown for many years, some facts about these permanent prosthetics might surprise you. In fact, here are six facts about dental crowns that you may not already know:
- Dental crowns are cemented into place over the dental restoration or natural tooth structure in order to provide the stability, strength, and aesthetic appearance your smile has been missing. Typically, a dental crown can only be removed by a dentist.
- Tooth extraction can sometimes be prevented with the use of a dental crown. A tooth that has been damaged by decay or infection may need to be removed if it cannot be restored to sufficient strength and stability. However, a dental crown can often provide these benefits, eliminating the need for tooth removal.
- Dental crowns are often paired with dental implants to complete the full replacement of a missing tooth. Our dentist will attach the dental crown to the implant post for a long-lasting and stable restoration.
- Healthy teeth can also benefit from dental crowns. If a structurally sound tooth looks too short, small, or otherwise misshapen, our dentist may recommend a dental crown to improve its appearance.
- A dental crown’s average life can span from 5 to 15 years and depends on the level of care it receives during your daily dental hygiene routine.
- Your dental crown will need to be replaced when it starts to show signs of cracking, fracturing, or breaking, or if tooth decay begins to develop around the edges. By visiting the dentist regularly, you can enjoy your healthy dental crown for several years to come.
For more facts about dental crowns in Houston, Texas, schedule your appointment with our friendly dental team! Call Echeverri Dental Center at 713-956-8767 today!