If you are wearing braces, you will need to make sure that you take care of your appliances. Broken appliances slow down your treatment and keep you in braces longer than would otherwise be necessary. For more information on oral hygiene with braces, and to make your appointment with our dentists in Houston, Texas, please contact Echeverri Dental Center at 713-956-8767.
You will need to be diligent in your at-home care while wearing braces. Food particles and other debris can easily become trapped in your brackets and wires, and your brackets can leave stains on your teeth if the surrounding area is not cleaned daily. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing are a necessity. You may even want to consider using a water pick throughout your orthodontic treatment. For more information, contact our office.
Space maintainers are used to help teeth grow normally when a primary tooth is lost prematurely. These devices save the space in the gap so that permanent teeth can erupt without problem later.
After you have finished wearing braces, our dentists will provide you with a retainer. Retainers keep the teeth in the correct positions. When caring for your retainer, be sure to:
- Brush them with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste
- Occasionally soak them in white vinegar for 10-15 minutes, and then brush as normal for a deep cleaning of your appliance
- Keep your retainers away from pets
- Do not put your retainers in pockets or in napkins where they may be disguised as trash
- Keep your retainers away from heat (extremely hot water, dishwashers, car dashboards, washers and dryers, and microwaves)
Foods to Avoid
Some types of foods can be seriously damaging to your braces. While wearing braces, avoid sticky, chewy, crunchy, and hard substances that could cause your braces to be loosened or damaged. Our dentists can provide a more comprehensive list of foods to avoid.
For more orthodontic tips, and to make your appointment with our dentists, please call our office today.